Monday, May 30, 2011

Coming To A Head

When things are "coming to a head," a confrontation or point of crisis is being reached, usually after a long period of build-up.

Example: "Canada Post's urban workers could go on strike late Thursday night if the Crown corporation declines to accept its latest offer, as seven months of heated negotiations between the two sides appears ready to come to a head."

That is, at the time this story was written, the two sides had not "sealed the deal" (reached an agreement successfully); rather, a strike has been called, and Canada's postal workers were set to go on strike within days.

4 comments:

  1. Is it ok to say "I've got too many things on my head right now"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, but there are better ways to say this.
    "I have too many things on the go."
    "There's too many things bouncing around in my head."
    "I have too much on my plate."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Writing is an art form that reaches a multitude of people from all walks of life, different cultures, and age group. As a writer, it is not about what you want. slang idioms

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was very pleased to find this web-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this wonderful read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you blog post.
    friv Games 2020 || kizi games | abcya for kids

    ReplyDelete